Another snowy weekend, what is this three weeks in a row now? Instead of just sitting at home I grabbed all my motorcycle parts and ventured back to my shop to install them, rather not wasting time and least get something productive in. I placed an order a couple of weeks ago to TJ at RidersDiscount.com for a Cox radiator guard and Woodcraft front and rear axle sliders. They took a while to arrive mainly because of the storms we have been getting but once they were here all I needed was just a day off to get them on.
The installs were all fairly simple and easy to perform with just hand tools so it didn’t take me much time whatsoever. First to go on was the Cox radiator guard figuring it would take the longest of the bunch. I bought a guard instead of making my own like some of my friends because I wanted something precise fitting and it didn’t hurt the eyes when you look at it neither. I opted for the black one, more stealth in my opinion.
I also spent this time adding in the GB Racing clutch cover that I also got from TJ. Already having the engine covers from Woodcraft was great but they didn’t a clutch cover and I wanted added protection. I run the GB Racing covers on my street bike so figured it be a good fit. You just need to remove three bolts and place the cover and reinstall using the longer bolts they supplied you with.
I got around to putting my forks back on to the bike during the interim of my last posting after getting them back from Pete over at GMD Computrack. Now that the front is rolling again I also added in the Woodcraft clip ons I had laying around too. Hopefully this combo will allow me to adjust the ergos on the bike to be more race oriented without having to worry about daily ride ability like I had when they were set up on my street bike pulling double duties.
With the expensive front end in place I wanted to protect the fork tubes so that is why I picked up axle sliders from Woodcraft. There are a lot of axle sliders in the market but most are replacements for the axles themselves but not these babies. They simply, on one side, slip right into the axle via an exact fitted nut onto which the actual sliders are pinned on. On the other side, at least for the front, it replaces the axle nut completely, but you still retain your axles.
On the front of the Yamaha R6’s axle is a little rubber plug that you must remove. The instructions say a pick is the easiest way to remove it, but I found that this was quite difficult to perform. Armed with a drill and equally large drill bit I just went to town and it came out with ease.
The front took me literally minutes to put on:
The rear sliders are about the same difficulty in install terms but on the one side of my axle it was pretty warped and you would need to sand it down to make the nuts fit perfectly. I opted to just hold off until I swap tires to actually do this because I intend on just swapping the axles from my street bike over to the race bike.
All the updates for now until this storm passes. Next is putting on the rear shock and most likely the throttle kit. Placed an order for two front/four rear Bridgestone R10 tires for the season so once they are here off goes the slicks and on goes the DOT race rubbbbbbber. Hopefully by then it’ll stop snowing!