New Footwork: Vortex V2 Rearsets

After finishing the pull of the forks I made an appointment with Pete at GMD Computrack Boston to drop them off for their refresh the following Saturday (they do Saturday drop off/pick-ups which saves a world of hassle!) Although it was a pretty good drive to get to GMD Boston there isn’t anyone else who I trust to refresh my setup. They have data logs of everything you ever got done through them so it was breeze for him to look up the specs of both my forks and shocks as I have gotten them set up through him in the past. Now the wait for them to be done begins!

In the meantime I headed back to my shop to start putting together the bunch of parts I had laying around. First up were the Vortex V2 rear sets I had acquired. These had parts that are more readily available than their first versions, which I run on my street bike, but also a folding toe peg that the V1 didn’t have. It took a while to put them together; the pain in the ass was the lock collar for the pin that holds the spring to actuate the folding toe peg. Think of it as Lego for racers.

Clutch side is always almost easier than the brake side. I opted for GP shifting pattern as I am completely used to it and riding STD pattern is foreign to me now. I notice how much longer the shift rod on the CF Motorsports (my guess here, couldn’t tell with the engraving on them) rear sets (Woodcrafts) were a lot longer so I had to grab the OEM rod from my old rear sets. A few tweaks in the length of the rod and viola the clutch side was done. Note that I am most likely going to run a quick shifter on the bike, either Annitori or Bazzaz, so the stock rod will be replaced eventually.

Brake side rear set was a more tedious process as I have already noticed how much the Yoshimura TRC exhaust that came with the bike didn’t sit as flushed against the swingarm. The V2 rear set comes with an exhaust bracket, meant to be mounted to the backside of the rear set, to be joined with the exhaust hanger bracket, but this wasn’t the case here. Since the exhaust didn’t sit flush I had to take that rear set bracket and lock it in between the rear set mounting point, on the outside, and the brake lever. It was VERY close in proximity but the resolved the issue of having to mount the exhaust to the rear set itself. Not the cleanest of installs but at the moment everything links up right.

You cant tell from this angle, but the exhaust is about 1 finger width away from sitting flush with the swingarm. I had to mount the exhaust bracket supplied by Vortex on the OUTSIDE of the rear set instead of behind it like it should. All that to accommodate a more than protruding Yoshimura TRX system.

You cant tell from this angle, but the exhaust is about 1 finger width away from sitting flush with the swingarm. I had to mount the exhaust bracket supplied by Vortex on the OUTSIDE of the rear set instead of behind it like it should. All that to accommodate a more than protruding Yoshimura TRC system.

Next up will be removing the steering dampner, gas tank and throttle bottle assemblies to install the clip-on and throttle kit while I wait for the suspension to be finished. It’s only passing mid-January and I can already smell the race gas burning at the first round! Makes the winter months pass by sooner with progression of this build.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s