Pulling Out Some Forks

I have been holding off the most tedious task of this race build up until now, pulling, refreshing and swapping one bike’s suspension to the other. Let’s not kid ourselves with the weather being in the teens as of late that this task was all becoming less and less appealing to me. Not to mention the shop isn’t centrally heated so I had to the swap in my snowboarding gear, trying to retain as much feelings in my fingers and toes as possible.

I had enlisted the help of Sam in both the removal of the rear shock, something I still haven’t learned to do, as well as setting up the race bike’s suspension when I was to get them back from refresh. Asking him was a no brainer because aside from actual suspension tech gurus he was the next best thing. Knowing suspension settings and simple installs was crucial in this part of the race build.

Twice the bike isn't twice the fun, just twice the work!

Twice the bike isn’t twice the fun, just twice the work!

Pulling the forks was simple, something I can do, and so I took a task to that first, waiting for Sam to awake from his beauty sleep. Once he showed up I had gotten my street bike’s Ohlins R&T forks out already and we started on the Penske 20mm forks from my race. This is when we realized that the previous owner instead of using safety wires on the pinch bolts of the forks opted for Loctite. No wonder I had such a hard time pulling them alone.

Once off we promptly put them back on my street bike and let Sam do his magic on setting them up. Hand controls back on the new cockpit minus the view of the Ohlins I had weren’t bad. With the forks set we moves towards he removal of the TTX MarkII Ohlins. There was a slight hiccup removing it because the sleeve in the dog bone wouldn’t come out. Much WD40 later, and MUCH MUCH later, they were out and in goes the stock shock. The Ohlins was now joining their fork brethren on a cutting table waiting refreshing.

Forks and shock on a cooking table ready for operation.

Forks and shock on a cooking table ready for operation.

I also got the chance to install the Zero Gravity DB clear screen I have bought. The current one was a custom cut, Puig I suppose, dark windscreen that really makes it hard to see when you’re tucked on a front straight. With that problem in mind I did opt for a clear DB.

It was here that I found another problem the previous owner had created. I notice the holes in the bodywork did not line up with the new windscreen. The holes he had drilled were completely off from both the suggested drill holes from the bodywork maker and the previous windscreen weren’t really lined up with the correct lines of the OEM R6.

Power drill in hand I got to work on drilling and making the holes bigger. Note to self that fiberglass is very itchy. New holes done I realigned the windscreen and bolted it down. Stepping away from it the bike definitely looks a lot better.

Numb fingers and aching knees later the street bike’s suspension was set and in the meantime I will take the Ohlins down to GMD Boston to have them refreshed. Unfortunately that could take a few weeks considering all the racers now are getting their suspension bits in order. Until then a few more miscellaneous part will be installed onto the race bike and hopefully it comes along some more!

Stay tuned!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s